Call Us Today (972) 418-0691


The following are a few of the most common questions about our electrical services. If you have any question that is not answered here, feel free to contact us.

Click on the questions below to see the answers.

Q: How do you choose the right electrician?

A: Make sure the service technician coming to your home has a current Journeyman's license. The company should have an Electrical Contractor and Master Electrician license, which should be posted on the front page of the website or any other advertising.

Q: What kind of warranty does Electricians of Dallas offer?

A: We offer a five-year warranty on parts and labor for work performed inside the home. We offer a one-year warranty on parts and labor for work performed outside of the home.

Q: Why is there a difference in inside and outside warranties?

A: Due to inclement weather conditions (rain, humidity, heat, etc.), most outside plugs or outlets are not made to withstand such conditions.

Q: What is the difference between time-and-material billing and flat-rate pricing?

A: With time-and-material billing, the customer (and sometimes the technician) doesn't know how long it will take to do the job. This can be costly to the customer if the technician is working slowly. With flat-rate pricing, the customer knows exactly what it will cost to do the specified job. No surprises.

Q: Is the switch bad if the light flickers when I wiggle the switch?

A: Most likely, yes. The connections from the wire to the switch may also be loose. Either way, it would be best at that point to have the switch replaced.

Q: Why are my lights flickering?

A: Lights flickering throughout the house could be one of several problems. The first course of action for the homeowner is to call their energy company and have them check the main lines coming to the house. This would save money on an electrician if it is indeed the problem. However, if everything checks out ok with the power company, then the issue could be anywhere from the panel to the circuit wiring leading to the outlets or switches. This would need the expertise of a licensed electrician to come in to troubleshoot the problem.

Q: Do I need to have my house grounded?

A: Yes. Even if you have a two-wire system, you should be sure that your house has two means of grounding. One is a cold water ground and the other is a grounding electrode (ground rod). This is important for several reasons. First, it helps to redirect over-voltages from power line surges or natural voltages such as lightning. Second, it stabilizes voltage current. Finally, it helps in the prevention of shock with metal parts associated with the electrical system. By having metal parts grounded, any voltage potential that is accidentally touching associated parts will trip the breaker and shut the current off.

Q: What if I have aluminum wiring? Do I need to have the wiring switched out?

A: The best solution to aluminum wiring is to have your house rewired with copper. However, that can be costly. The National Code makers recognize this and have come up with solutions. You can have a qualified, licensed electrician come in and pigtail the house. Each outlet and switch, would be re-wired with a short piece of copper wiring and reconnected to the aluminum wire with a special wire nut that is rated for aluminum to copper and has a deoxidation grease inside it.

A licensed electrician could replace all switches and outlets with AI/Cu rated switches and outlets. The electricians would also put the grease on all aluminum wires that are on the breakers. These two methods are not only code compliant, but they significantly increase the homeowner’s safety from the hazards that aluminum wires pose.

Q: Do I need my pool grounded?

A: Yes. It is very important to be sure the pool equipment is grounded. The light in the pool should also be on a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) as well. The pool can carry voltage currents either through the pumps or the light inside the pool if not properly protected. If you are not sure if your pool is grounded give Electricians of Dallas a call.

Q: Do I need to have a main breaker?

A: All homes now get fitted with panels that have a main breaker. The main breaker protects the entire breaker panel from higher fault currents in the electrical system that can pass through the smaller branch circuit breakers. The electrical system from the power company is designed to prevent high fault currents; however, natural and unnatural problems have been known to still cause high fault currents, which can wreak havoc inside the house, causing damage to the wiring and sensitive equipment.

Q: I have been told my FPE panel is unsafe and needs to be replaced. Are all FPE panels unsafe?

A: Stab-lock series of Federal Pacific panels were independently tested and didn't pass tripping standards set forth by the government. The sole purpose of a breaker is to trip when there is a dead short or an overload caused by a device that needs larger currents to operate. When the breaker doesn't operate properly it causes the wire to heat up to extreme temperatures. One of two things will happen: it’s either going to sever the connection at either end of attachment or cause anything combustible around the wire to catch fire. I have personally experienced the failings of these breakers in homes that had this panel. We would be glad to come to your home and properly evaluate your current panel.

Q: I have lost half the power in my house. What should I do?

A: From the transformer to the attachment of the house riser, the electrical system is the responsibility of the power company. It would be wise to call your local power company and have them check the line. If the power line is ok then it could be poor connections in the meter base or the panel. Half power means you wouldn't be able to use anything that is 240 volts such as the A/C unit, stove top, oven, etc.

Contact us today if you need to diagnose your electrical problems. We proudly serve residential and commercial customers in Carrollton, Dallas, Farmers Branch, Addison, Richardson, Coppell, Irving and Garland, Texas, as well as the surrounding areas.